Lunchtime CPD Series - Common Building Defects and Decay - 8th April
Location: This CPD is online. Cost: £12.50 + VAT and booking fee
This online CPD session is now available for booking on the following dates..:
12:30pm 8th April
The output of any building inspection or building survey is a written report. Every surveyor will be judged by the quality of the report produced. You might be the best surveyor ever, but if you can’t write a good report then you are at risk of complaints from your client and open yourself up to potential negligence claims. The report itself has no real value. It is the information within the report where the value to the client is found. If that information is weak then the report is largely a wasted opportunity and, it could be argued by a client, that it was a waste of money and not worth doing at all.
You will be within a safe and nurtured group of like-minded people. Use the opportunity to ask any questions that arise. There is no such thing a silly question.
By the end of this CPD session you will be more aware of the following..:
- Understand the different types of building defects that are commonly found
- Be aware of the factors required when making a diagnosis and recommendations
- Legal requirements related to Listed Buildings
- Making recommendations for further inspections
- Have better confidence in yourself
- Understand about writing a confident and well presented report for your client
This CPD session is flexible to suit the needs of the group but might typically include topics such as..:
- RICS complaints, public perception and professional standards
- JPS 2022 – Investigation of moisture and its effects on traditional buildings
- The relevance of the RICS Home Survey Standard 2019
- Cracks and how to make sense of them
- Dry rot
- Wet rot
- Beetle damage
- Defects caused by someone trying to fix it but it is now made worse
- Frost damage
- Rain leaks and water penetration
- Are you competent to do the survey at all?
- What does the client really need to know?
- How to write a report
- Using photos effectively
- Giving advice to your client
This training is suitable for everyone, regardless of background or experience. No prior knowledge or qualifications is required. It is taught in English, so you must have a good use of the English language.
The training is intended to be of most value to RICS surveyors but it will also be useful to surveyors who are members of other professional groups, students, post-grad students, apprentices and those who might be seeking a career change later in life.
More Training Available In-Person
This online CPD webinar will provide the basic information to help you better understand building pathology.
We also have in-person training dates which you might find of interest. We firmly believe that the very best way to learn is through practical experience.
Duncan is one of the UK’s most experienced Chartered Building Surveyors regarding historic and Listed Buildings, having been doing this work for over 30 years. He runs Listed Building Surveys and he is Chair of the RICS Building Conservation Steering Group. He is the lead author of the new RICS Professional Standard – Conservation of Heritage Buildings and Assets, which will be published in 2024. Duncan teaches building surveying, architectural history, building pathology and building conservation to undergraduate, postgraduate and mature students and also to the general public and the trades.
This CPD training will be delivered online. There are no handouts or course material.
This training will be delivered live on Zoom. It will be recorded and can be made available to delegates later, on request. You will be allowed to ask questions..
This training qualifies for 1 hour formal CPD.